Monday 3 February 2014

Last day in Cambodia

Our last day in Siem Riep started early for me as I got up to watch the sunrise at Angkor Wat again. It was a bit cloudy so the colours weren't as good as before, I explored the parts of the temple I missed the first time through then headed quickly to Bayon before all the people turned up. Someone was flying a quadcopter over parts of it with a camera, I found it amusing but it was quite noisy.

I still prefer the Bayon carvings to Angkor Wat's, there are more and they're in better condition comparatively. Also large parts of the Angkor were cordoned off as there was a German restoration team working. I wandered out of the Bayon complex and passed through some of the smaller areas within Angkor Thom; like The elephant and leper terrace which had some lovely carvings 

After that I heard back to the hostel. Had a late breakfast, then Nicola and I went and found a local geocash site before heading to the airport for our flight Ho Chi Minh. The hotel we're staying at is really nice, we're in a dorm room again but it's all girls this time and breakfast is complimentary. But we decided after we had dinner to meet some of Nicola's friends from KOTO and go to the flower street as part the Tet festival which ends tomorrow. One of the girls, Ngoc (Nee-ow) invited us to her home for dinner tomorrow (monday) and to the beach on Tuesday. It was a good evening we saw all the different displays, it reminded me of the exhibition hall at the Royal Easter show in Sydney. And ate sweet pancakes (coconut, sesame seeds and sugar sheets) which were really tasty. Nicola and I had dinner in Cafe Ciao, it was busy but the waiters were friendly and helpful. Catching up on sleep and blog posts is now my main priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment